UNIVERSITY OF PORT HARCOURT
INSTITUTE OF PETROLEUM STUDIES
CENTRE FOR OIL & GAS TECHNOLOGY
Session 2019/2020 Admission into Post Graduate Diploma in Petroleum Technology (PGDPT)
Introduction: The Institute of Petroleum Studies (IPS) offers programmes for sustainable development of the petroleum industry. The postgraduate programme is designed for sustainable development of oil and gas producing host communities. The Institute provides a conducive learning environment, full Internet access, virtual library and hands-on training using one computer per student. Students use State- of- the- art software, industry case studies and undertake field visit. Students are encouraged to live and work together, thus developing team spirit.
Programme: The aim of this operations-oriented Post Graduate Diploma in Petroleum Technology programme, sponsored by NNPC/TEPNG JV, is to improve the technical competence and skills of graduates from the communities in which they operate to make them competitive for recruitment in the petroleum industry.
On completion of this programme the graduates, will among other skills, be able to:
- Supervise drilling operations, develop wells and carry out drilling optimization programmes
- Supervise, and evaluate well completion, Workover and well stimulation programmes
- Operate onshore and offshore oil and gas production facilities
- Carry out well performance enhancement programmes
Duration of Programme: The duration of the programme shall be 12 calendar months of intensive full time study.
Award of Diploma: Successful students, at the end of the programme, shall receive a Diploma of the University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
Admission Requirements: Candidates must possess a minimum of Second Class Honours (Lower Division), Bachelor’s Degree in any branch of Engineering, the Physical Sciences and Chemistry and should have completed their NYSC. There shall be written test and oral screening to further determine suitability of candidates.
Mode of Study and Examination: The Mode of Study shall be Modular, and not Semester. Students are expected to offer and pass all taught courses, field/ Laboratory work/visits, seminar and team/ individual industrial projects. Weekly examinations will be administered.
Course Delivery: The students are taught by instructors from the University of Port Harcourt (Uniport) Nigeria, and experts from the petroleum industry both within and outside Nigeria.
Sponsorship: Candidates may also be sponsored by operating companies, service companies, PTDF and other sponsoring agencies. (Note that sponsorship of candidate(s) by any of the participating companies does not guarantee recruitment of such candidate(s) into their Employment at the end of the programme)
Method of Application: A non-refundable application fee of Fifteen Thousand Naira (#15, 000) in certified bank draft shall be made payable to the Institute of Petroleum Studies, University of Port Harcourt. Applicants should include a pre-paid envelope (any courier company) with the draft and collect the form in person. Forms can also be obtained online from www.ipsportal.org and also payment made online.
Important Dates to remember: (Any changes will be communicated by e-mail)
- Completed hard copy Application Forms must be returned to the Director, Institute of Petroleum Studies, University of Port Harcourt on or before July 19, 2019.
- Aptitude Test: August 1, 2019.
- Oral interview: August 21, 2019 at IPS Park
- Names of short-listed candidates will be displayed on IPS website: www.ipsng.org
- Short-listed candidates will also be contacted by e-mail
- For enquiries, please call +234 (0)9090624900 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
DORCAS D. OTTO (MRS.)